Friday, February 27, 2009

Mom's Update

Courtney continues to work hard at recovery. While in-home therapy is being reduced and we are waiting for her to start Sargent Courtney is reviewing some old favorites. Multiplication tables, state capitals, U.S. government and American History facts and vocabulary are among topics we are reviewing. These reviews will help Courtney recall what she has learned in the past. Today we will have Courtney's violin tuned and she'll start playing her violin. Music is always wonderful therapy and playing the violin offers unique challenges for the left arm and hand.

Courtney is certain that she will return to URI in the Fall and I have no doubt she is right! As her recovery continues and for people seeing and speaking with Courtney for the first time since the accident it's good to remember that TBI recovery of this magnitude is like growing up again fast forward. That means Courtney started again as a new born and is now progressing through years of cognitive, behavioral and emotional development. Like the rest of her recovery Courtney is moving through these 'years' at an even faster pace than we expected.

During our visit to Paychex yesterday Courtney and I were able to thank many people for their prayers and support. It has been a wonderful gift for me to be able to stay with Courtney each day since the accident. This has been possible thanks to the generosity of my co-workers who have donated their own precious vacation time. I will never be able to express what this time has meant to me and how grateful I am.

In the next couple of weeks we will visit RIH TICU and Narragansett Fire Dept to say thanks to those who saved Courtney's life.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!
I just want 2 say hi 2 everyone in the Hollingworth family.
To Courtney: I am sooooo proud of your MIRACULOUS recovery. You have worked so hard in everything you do, and we all pray 4 u every day!! We can't wait 2 see u!!!
From,
Sarah Laffey

Anonymous said...

:->
=]

Anonymous said...

Dear Diane,
It is so good to hear from you. You have done a great job of keeping all of us informed and educated on TBI.
A big shout out to all the folks at Paychex!
X O
Mrs. Carey

Anonymous said...

you guys should publish this blog into a book
starting out with the concerned posts from the family, and now with the posts from courtney... it'd be a best seller, i think :o)

Anonymous said...

Dear Courtney and family, you have been on my mind every day since I learned of the accident. I never gave up faith that Courney would use every bit of her strength and spirit to heal and come back to all those who love her as far as she could. I never dreamed just how far that would be! Congratulations to all of you and I know Courtney will keep pushing herself to continue in her recovery. I have no doubt that if her goal is to get back to school in the fall, that is exactly what she will do! Courtney, Carolyn and I would love to show you around Chicago again if you ever want to come!
You will continue to be in my thoughts every day!
Love,
Judy Bohn

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Courtney. God sent you snow because he knows you missed the rest of it this winter. Make a snowman and enjoy the day!

love ya
mrs spaziano
PS I am SURE you will be back at URI in the fall!