Saturday, February 7, 2009

Mom's Update

As I've mentioned in previous blog Courtney's personality is very much intact. I've been wanting to write about this for sometime but Courtney's had me on the go and she's not resting much during the day.
Here are some moments that show her true personality through and through:
"I'm better. I'm going home on February 20" she said to Marie on the phone
Therapists ask "Courtney do you want to do one more..., you don't have to if you don't want to"
"Yes" Courtney will always say "I'll do it." or
"Do you want to try this new therapy? It's okay if you don't want to" Courtney always says "I'll do it."

"I WANT my cell phone"

One night Courtney's nurses aid was sitting in the chair next to Courtney's bed and she was holding her head in her hand. Courtney asked "Are you tired?" - The nurses aid told me about this the next day and said "I love her - she's a good girl."

We talked to Courtney about going to church when she comes home "Christ the King (on the URI campus)! Yes, I remember!"

Courtney is loving EVERYTHING. "I love this chicken" "I love this restaurant" "I love Emma, Jill, Carey" and other friends and family. "I love those flowers" "I love my glasses."
As though we weren't appreciative enough of this miracle Courtney has shown us how to be appreciative of every single thing we touch, smell, eat and experience.

"I'm so scared that something this bad will happen to someone I love."

We were going to Marshall's today and so I asked Courtney if she'd like to look at the pants.
"Yes she said, I'll get some for Katy." I said no not Katy. "Okay then Claudia." No not Claudia
"okay, Emma then?" No Courtney for you. It's so like Courtney to be thinking of other people.

Courtney getting "kicked out" (just a joke) of Reality Orientation Group because she was laughing hysterically at the older men who wouldn't stop talking.

An OT that hadn't worked with Courtney much said "I thought we might try to make things a little more difficult by having Courtney pick out her own clothes and get them out of the closet."
I said - oh she's already doing that! Courtney said "Moving on!"

Yes and moving on is what Courtney continues to do. Dr. Katz exclaimed last night "The fastest recovery I've ever seen, at least one of the fastest, but I think it's the fastest." (among patients with severe TBI)

12 weeks after the accident we did not expect to be preparing to bring Courtney home. When we arrived here we were told 3-6 months. That was 7 weeks ago!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The "Moving on" is soooooo Courtney!!! I can hear her saying that. I can't stand not seeing all of you, especially Courtney. We are all just thrilled that she is progressing so fast. We are still thanking God and praying for continued blessings every day. We are anxiously waiting for another conversation! Talk to you soon. We love you! Kelly

Anonymous said...

I LOVE COURTNEY!!!

XO
Mrs. Carey

Anonymous said...

Courtney I was so happy to get to talk to you on the phone! You made my day! You are doing so great and I can't wait to see you in March. Hope you enjoyed your food from Panera : )

xox, Marie

Anonymous said...

;^)