Monday, February 2, 2009

Mom's Update

Courtney's awareness progressed further today as she became aware of time away from Mom and Dad. Last night as I was getting ready to leave she started saying 'please don't leave.' Because part of this recovery is a bit like growing up again but fast forward I anticipated separation anxiety. I assured Courtney I would be back in the morning. When I arrived in the morning Courtney was standing in the hallway and the entire nursing staff informed me that she had been sitting by the elevator eagerly waiting my arrival and insisting on calling me!

Throughout the day Courtney asked for cell phone #s of everyone from me and Craig to Aunties, friends, parents of friends. She would hold up her finger, tell me to wait 'just a sec' walk to the bureau, grab the dry erase board and marker, bring them to me and say, 'what about XXX's cell phone?' and I would write it down for her. She thought of so many people we ran out of room and had to write them all on 2 separate pieces of paper.

Courtney asked 'where's my phone?' I promised her I would find it in the pile of things I put in safe keeping and get it to her ASAP! She asked later in the day "how do I reach you tonight?" - just like that! unbelievable!!!

After weeks of Daddy receiving the brunt of her frustrations she finally did a 180 and asked me "where's Daddy- I want to call him." Then she grilled him about when he would be arriving to visit and insisted that he stay after I left this evening. She gave many hugs and kisses - and he deserves so many more - at least one for every pinch and slap he got during the agitated phase!

Also, and very very importantly Courtney ate well today. After a slow start she ate canteloupe, half of a Mc D's cheeseburger, 1/2 order of small fries for lunch. Later she drank 3/4 a small vanilla shake and when her stomach was full she looked at me and said "I really don't think I should eat any more right now." Just before 5pm Courtney said "I'm hungry. I need to eat again." (we have been telling Courtney 'you need to eat again today') She ate turkey, mashed potatos and gravy. It took 1 hour and 10 minutes and it must have been iced cold but she ate nearly the entire dinner. I asked Courtney if eating was exhausting. She answered "it's like when I wake up and just before I go to sleep" - long answer for absolutey!!!

Finally, we got the word that Courtney will indeed be going home Friday, February 20th as long as insurance approves 3 more weeks. We believe they will. Courtney will have 2-3 weeks transition with in-home therapy and then will begin a day program at Sargent Rehabilitation Center. Sadly there are 16 participants in the 18-25 year old group currently enrolled in their program. This program will take Courtney all the way through to a return to school.

Meanwhile friends and family are all pitching in to help us get the house ready for Courtney and like all the other support we've received we are so very humbled and grateful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for Courtney's accelerated progress and for the opportunity to follow through this blog the love and faith exhibited by all of you......a very special family with very special friends.
Our prayers continue for you all.
Les & Lynne Pitman

Anonymous said...

:):):):):):):):):):):):)!!!!

Anonymous said...

"FANTASTIC!" Courtney, keep up the good work...

Unknown said...

we are so thrilled for all of you ! The Veales