Thursday, March 5, 2009

Please help if you can....

As we have not heard back from Sargent about a start date and haven't received a response we are going to Plan B and think that some of you may be able to help us.

Currently we have physical therapy lined up for Courtney that will allow her to get back to where she was for endurance and fitness.

We have a referral to a speech therapist but are awaiting info about which insurance plans they take.

Our overall plan includes the following:

Neuropsychologist for ongoing testing

Educational consultant - to help assess Courtney's needs and assist in writing an educational plan that will eventually include an IEP.

Physical Therapist - all set for now.

Speech Therapist - still interested in getting referrals.

TUTOR/caregiver - This is perhaps the most important role. We are thinking that a recent college graduate with a degree in education who may not have a full time teaching position would be interested in spending the next 3-5 months working with Courtney. Duties would be:
Assist Courtney with school work, organizational skills, note taking, etc.
Drive Courtney to and from appointments with physical, speech therapy
Assist with daily planning and keeping Courtney on task to complete each day's plan.

This person needs to have an excellent driving record (:( :) AH!)
teaching experience
pleasant but not overly sweet personality
not a pushover

Please leave a comment with your contact information if you know someone who fits the above description and thank you!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane

Why don't you contact URI and see if they can post something on a list serve. Perhaps a Grad student or as you said a recent grad would be interested, especially if they live in the area so it would be convenient for you. Just an idea. I am sure they would want to help Courtney and she is a Rhody Ram!

joanne spaziano

Anonymous said...

Diane - this is Karen's sister Maureen. I think Joanne's idea is great, and I have connections to the URI swim team and can email our alum association to see if any possibilities there. Also, if you're interested in looking beyond the Southern RI area, I can ask some of the younger staff [i.e., fresh out of college] if they have friends that might be interested.
I'll email my swim team contacts for now. Good luck! Maureen

Anonymous said...

I am Courtney's German professor at URI. I would be glad to help spread the word and help find a tutor for Courtney within the URI community if you want. My e-mail is Kirchner@uri.edu

Anonymous said...

Diane,

My name is Kimberly Ring. I am Maureen Mello's neice. I work for the visiting nurse service of greater rhode island. We employ speech, occupation, and physical therapy rehab. If you are looking a speech therapist we have some wonderful people on our staff that are excellent. I also some friends that are teachers that may be looking for some extra work. I will enquire.

kring@vnsgri.org
Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane and Courtney - Courtney, we've never met but I've known your mom since high school. I was in Aunty Linda's class (many, many years ago!) I've been following your progress since Linda told me about the accident. It's amazing that God brought us back together 4 days before your accident after not seeing each other for 10 years! It's no accident that God wanted me to know you and pray for you. I look forward to meeting you at the thanksgiving mass. I will be there! I would be happy to post your request for help on my church e-news. We have a lot of health professionals there. Also the speech and hearing clinic number at URI is 874-5969.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Diane,

A close friend of mine told me about Courtney needing a tutor. I have been following the blog as well and I think I fit your description perfectly.

I am a 23 year old URI student finishing my student teaching in high school this semester. I live in Rhode Island with my Mom and I will be available over the next few months as well as through the summer and fall. I have an excellent driving record as well.

Please, give me a call at your earliest convenience or email me, I check daily. I look forward to hearing from you.

Rachel Trout

Rachy24@cox.net
401-595-7115 (cell)