Saturday, November 14, 2009

Courtney's point of view after a year

It's been a long long time since I've last posted. Many things have happened, and it's crazy to think about.
It's actually one year ago tomorrowthe 15th, regardless it has been quite the year. That day I went to the gym, stopped at the library on the way home to do some homework, and then I came home to take a nap. I talked to my friend rat (Jillian) on the phone and she said, "I don't think I'm going to be able to come out because the weather is supposed to get worse later and my parents don't want me on the road driving." So I said ugh okay, well call me if anything changes. About an hour or so later around 3:00 rat called me back and said that it was okay if she drove to the movies and right back. We made plans to meet at the movies for 5:00.
That's all I remember. Well I remember us calling eachother figuring out what the other was wearing, but that is the end of my memory of that day.
I can't believe it has been a year. I'm still coming to terms with the fact that I missed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years with my family. This year on those holidays it is going to be the best time after all we have been and fought through together.
This year on my birthday (which is in October) it was an emotional day. When we were singing "happy birthday," and when I was opening my presents my parents were tearing up. I knew that they were just overwhelmed. My Mom said that they didn't know if I would celebrate another birthday. That scared me.
So many things before my accident didn't phase me nearly as strongly as they do now. For example. driving, school, friendship, and many more. Those things have changed so much for me. Now that I am back to driving it's a smile of relief every time I get into the drivers seat. I drive along, still smiling and don't care about the fact that people who drive past me look at me like I'm a weirdo. I think to myself, "they don't know shit about what I've been though."
School. Oh to be in school I want to be in school so badly. But the day I got the results of the nuero-psych evaluation test the doctor told me that if I was back in school, she is afraid I would fail and not be happy. She also said that it's a good thing I'm so high-strong. Some people she said, we have to push them along, but we're pulling you back.
That is good and bad. Thanks to people like her, and so many others who work in the recovery department of health, I haven't gotten too far ahead of myself because of their warnings that I could be very dissapointed if I did this or that.
I'm kind of glad I've gone through this. It taught me so many things. The love and dependence of friendship, family, and the grace of God and to never give up. I've learned so much, but in a much stronger sense then I did as I was growing up. This time though, it means something. I understand every lesson, every punishment, every thing I didn't want to hear as a teenager, and every cry for help.
Please continue to pray for me, I need your prayers so I keep getting better and better, and also please pray for every person who was hurt by all the bad stories you see on the news. The soldiers need our prayers and our love, so that more don't give up.
I'll post soon, I promise.
hehe :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Courtney,

I have been thinking about you a lot over the past couple weeks. It is so good to read of your progress, even though you may find it frustrating. You truly have been an inspiration and I agree that you have brought many to a relationship with God. My own faith has been deepened through your journey. I have a good friend who has been through a very difficult period and, like you, she says she doesn't think she would change its occurrence even if she could. She believes it has made her stronger and taught her things she was meant to learn. Courtney, keep your determination and remain adamant that no one can take that away. I continue to pray for you and will be eager to hear of your continued progress.

Nora Mullen

Anonymous said...

Air Max
Nike Air Max
Air Max shoes

ugg boots

Classic Ugg Boots

Cheap Ugg Boots

Women Ugg Boots

Newest Ugg

Outlet UGG Boots

Ugg Boots on sale

Ugg Boots for sale

Australia Ugg

Wholesale Ugg boots

ugg boots on sale

jerseys
cheap jerseys
Wholesale jerseys
soccer jerseys
nba jerseys
mlb jerseys
soccer jersey
Nba Jerseys
Mlb Jerseys

MotherAdvocate said...

I found your blog quite by accident when I was conducting research for `growing up again brain injury`. I am mother to a 32-year old son who was severely injured 9 years ago. I estimate he is now entering his troublesome teen years.

Your blog has helped me understand this is a GOOD sign that he is growing up again, fast forward, and gives me some courage to carry on; it is very difficult for me as all friends and family have walked away and I pursue advocacy and rehab for and with him by myself. Thank you for sharing your story.

I will pray for you, and ask that you pray for Sherrie & Matthew. God bless and may your health and mind continue to return to you on a positive basis.