Saturday, May 9, 2009

By The Grace Of God And A Mothers Love

I have not posted to Courtney's Blog in quite awhile because my wonderful wife has written with such eloquence, grace and heartfelt thanks for the wonderful gift that was bestowed on our family.



I chose this weekend because for months I have been reflecting on how God spared my daughters life working through her beautiful mother. Tomorrow, is Mothers Day so I felt it most appropriate to post now.



For the last 6 months I have been a witness to the faith, courage and strength of my wife as we traveled the "Road to Recovery" for Courtney



On November 15, 2009 Diane and I were to have a quiet dinner at the home of our close friends Ed and Lynn Aberger. Courtney had her own dinner plans to meet her close friend Jillian and then later to return to our house to stay the night, have a breakfast with her Mom and I then return to her apartment in Narragansett. Courtney by nature is a very punctual, dependable young women and when she had not arrived at the restaurant at her scheduled time of 5:00 pm Jill knew instinctively that something was very wrong. At 5:30, Diane and I had just arrived at the Abergers and Diane's cell phone rang, it was Jillian calling to tell Diane that Courtney had not returned her text messages or phone calls.

Diane also knew that something was terribly wrong at that moment, yes a mothers intuition. Ed, Lynn and myself discussed for a few minutes if indeed something was wrong with Courtney, perhaps a flat tire, maybe the her cell phone was dead. We waited for a few minutes when Lynn suggested that we call the Narragansett Police and see if perhaps they could send a police car by her apartment to check on her well being.



Diane dialed the Narragansett Police as I was standing close to her side. Diane only identified herself that "her daughter was a Narragansett resident"... the dispatcher replied "is this Courtney Hollingworth's mom? I saw the terrified look on Diane's face, a look that I had never seen on Diane's face ever. Diane replied "Yes, what has happened? The dispatcher responded that "Courtney has been in a very intensive accident and we are attempting to have her airlifted to the Trauma Center at Rhode Island Hospital. The Trauma Center Intensive Care Unit would be our home for the next 6 weeks.


When we arrived at the hospital , we were ushered into a "family room" by a social worker who told us that the "priest would be there in a minute or two, they had been expecting us". Where was Courtney? I thought to myself. I gave a glance at Ed and his face had a look of terrible foreboding.


For almost 55 minutes, we waited for the Chief of Trauma to speak with us. He demeanor was solemn, quiet. He began to list Courtney's injuries, All ribs fractured, clavicle bones fractured, shoulder fractured, right arm fractured, small bones in neck fractured, small bones in her lower spine fractured, both lungs badly damaged and collapsed, small fractures to both cheek bones, skull fractured in three places and then finally she has suffered a severe traumatic brain injury(TBI). It would be at least 5 days before the Dr's would know if she were to survive let alone what brain functions had been affected. Courtney was in a very deep Coma. Diane began to pray.. there was never any doubt in how we would handle this situation, we would turn to God.



During the next 13 weeks, Diane devoted all of her motherly intuitions, skills, love and prayer to Courtney. She maintained a bedside vigil in Courtney's room assisting the nursing staff in anyway she could, applying all the instincts that a mother possess, helping with bathing, changing the bedding, re-positioning Courtney's body in the bed, holding Courtney's Hand, stroking her face, singing to Courtney, talking to Courtney, reciting prayers while applying holy water, when Courtney's body temp rose to above 107 deg, she assisted the nurses placing ice packs, when the neurological exams came back grave, she prayed. She once told me that there is "No fear in life when you place your whole heart in Gods hands"



Diane took time to comfort and sooth Katy and Claudia while they also suffered in our family's pain for Courtney. She taught Katy and Claudia that love, kindness, compassion for others is really the only true path in life and that while Courtney was very ill, sadness, pity and hopelessness have no place in the hearts of those with hope. Diane did not just speak the words of the courageous, she lived the same words she spoke.



When Courtney was finally transferred to Braintree Rehab Hospital outside of Boston, Diane maintained her bedside vigil with Courtney. Diane would arrive at Courtney's room every morning by 7:30 to help bath, change, reposition, the list is endless and would continue until 8:00 pm or later, 7 days a week for months, even through snowstorms. When Diane was not attending to Courtney, she would lifting the spirits of visitors, friends, etc.


I have no words that could ever express my thanks for the Grace of God and my wife's Love for bringing my daughter back to us. I am humbled that she is my best friend for she is all that a wife and mother could ever be. I am sure that Diane may even be embarrassed by words on this post, nonetheless they are all true. I am also sure that Diane would point out that every mother would do the same for their child as she has done for our children. Even so, this experience on "Courtney's Road to Recovery" has shown me that the reason there is a "Mother's Day" is because of mom's like Diane.



HAPPY MOTHERS DAY,



Love Craig













c

5 comments:

Claudia said...

I love you, Dad. Both you and mom are such beautiful people.

You both are the visible hands of God in my life.

Anonymous said...

Vouchsafe

kelly said...

That is just about the most beautiful thing I have ever read. Bless you and all your family.
We miss you. All our love, Kelly and family

Anonymous said...

I agree this is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read, and so very true. In addition to all Craig wrote, she also took over the role of mother, to her siblings, by always keeping the family together, at holidays, and throughout the year, so we have the opportunity to get together, as a family in a warm, loving, and caring place(home) no matter how busy life gets.

Anonymous said...

:-)